8/18/07

Antique Oxford




My newest pride and Joy, the Oxford book of English verse, 1907, original blue cloth binding on india paper.
This lovely volume has become a bit of an obsession for me. Not only can I peruse 13th century poetry at my leisure,but the book has a story and a life of it's own.
I'd love to say I discovered in my grandmothers attic, or tucked away in a homey old brownstone bookstore, but I found it on Ebay.



On it's own it stands as a beautiful volume, obviously well loved by it's previous caretaker, but tucked within it's pages is a wealth of information. Whoever loved this book as much as I do tucked everything from newspaper clippings to a funeral announcement and even a love letter in it's pages. The vast majority of the newspaper clippings are of poetry from the New York Times during the mid 1930's.
To whoever Mary E.V Hanks is, I thank you. More then likely you have gone to the great library in the sky, but I feel honored to have your book in my hands.
I shall cherish this volume, and when I grow old, pass it along with newspaper clippings and poetry from my area...along with a note of who I was, who Mary may have been, and the story of how this book crossed so many miles.
Your book is in safe hands Mary Hanks.

The Oxford book of english verse

No comments: